The Green Scapular
In 27 November 1839, Justine Bisqueyburu, destined by Providence to take known this devotion, entered the Seminary or Novitiate of the Daughters of Charity 140 rue du Bac, Paris. On 28 January 1840, during her first retreat the young Sister was favoured with a celestial vision. Our Lady appeared to her clothed in a long white robe over which hung a blue mantle. Her hair, which fell loosely over her shoulders, was not covered with a veil, and in her hands she held her Heart from the top of which issued brilliant rays. To the dignity of her bearing was joined the dazzling brightness of celestial beauty. The young sister, seized with admiration and fear, could scarely repress an exclamation.
The same apparition was repeated four or five times during her Seminary on the principal feasts of the Blessed Virgin. This favour seemed to have no other end than to increase in the Sister herself tender devotion to Mary Immaculate.
Clothed with the habit, Sister bisqueyburu was sent to Blangy and shortly after her arrival, 8 September 1840, Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin she was favoured during prayer with an apparition of the Mother of God, who held in her right hand and her her Heart surrounded by flames, and in her left a sort of scapular, consisting of a single place of green cloth suspended from a cord of the same colour. On one side was a picture of the Blessed Virgin as she had shown herself in the apparitions. On the other side, a Heart all inflamed with rays more brilliant than the sun, and clearer than crystal.
This heart pierced with a sword was surrounded by an oval inscription, surmounted by a cross. The inscription read “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death”. At the same time, an interior voice revealed to the Sister the meaning of this vision. She understood that this new Scapular, through the medium of the Sisters of Charity, would contribute to the conversion of those who have no faith, and above all, procure for them a happy death, and that it should be distributed immediately with confidence.
For various reasons the execution was long delayed, in consequence of which the Blessed Virgin in several apparitions between 1840 and 1864 complained to the Sister. As obstacles were removed, the Scapular was distributed, producing wonderful conversions and some bodily cures.
Among favours obtained are the following: A sick man, a declared enemy of all religion, was thrown into frenzy by the mere sight of a priest. He accepted a Green Scapular on 19 September 1842. 11 Days later, arising from dinner, he withdrew into an adjoining room, fell on his knees and took out his Scapular which he called an intermediary agent. Kissing it and bathing it with tears, he promised Our Lady to go to confession within a week. That delay seemed too long for the next day he received the Sacraments.
In 1844, a child of 14 with depraved morals received the Scapular and in a few days his conversion was effected.
At Constantinople a Greek Schismatic was converted by the Scapular and also cured of a hideous leprosy. Many similar examples might be cited.
The manner of using the Scapular was indicated by the Blessed Virgin. Since it is not badge of a confraternity but simply a double image attached to a single piece of cloth and suspended from a cord, the formalities of a Scapular are not required for the benediction and imposition. It suffices that it be blessed by a priest and worn by the one for whom it is intended. It may be placed in the clothing, on the bed, or simply in the room. The only prayer to be recited is the inscription surrounding the heart on the reverse of the Scapular: “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death”. This should be repeated daily, if not by the one wearing it, by the one giving it. The Scapular may be distributed everywhere. Although wonderful graces are attached to it, they are proportionate to the confidence with it is given, as signified by rays of different lengths which in the last apparitions, issued from the hands of the Blessed Virgin.
The Green Scapular was twice approved by Pope Pius IX, in 1863 and again in 1870 when he said,”Write to these good Sisters that I authorize them to make and distribute it.”
IMPRIMATUR: Jose N Jovellanos, Vicario Grlis (30th January 1956)
Tags: apparition, conversion, devotion, faith, green scapular, immaculate heart, marian, mary, mother of God, right hand, sister